When packing your child’s school lunch, it can be tempting to buy a pre-packaged treat from the grocery store. While it’s easy to grab snacks on-the-go, they’re often not as healthy as you might think. Pre-packaged single-serving yogurt cups can be loaded with sugar.
Instead, try making a yogurt-based treat at home to include in your child’s lunch. This strawberry-kiwi yogurt parfait is full of calcium and Vitamin C, which will help keep your child’s teeth and gums strong and prevent inflammation. Plus, fiber in whole grain granola will help your child stay full throughout their school day. Then, they won’t be tempted to snack on less healthy options.
Strawberry-Kiwi Yogurt Parfait
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup whole grain granola (find a low-sugar option)
- ¼ cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ kiwi, sliced
- Layer yogurt at the bottom of bowl or container
- Alternate layers of yogurt and fruit until all ingredients are used
- Pack granola separately to keep crunch
*Serving size can be modified depending on your child’s age.